5630 South Broadway
Eureka, CA 95503-6998
Del Norte County Office
Research Interests: livestock science, community-based prescribed fire, integrated vegetation management, forage production, wildlife resources, and ecosystem services
- Challenge Award
Presented by California State Association of Counties, 2019
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Animals and Their Systems
- Animal Management Systems
- Communication, Education, and Information Delivery
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Management of Range Resources
- Hanbury-Brown, A; Stackhouse, J (2021). Elk conflict with beef and dairy producers poses wildlife management challenges in northern California. Ecology and Society. 26:1, 23. https://www.ecologyandsociety.org/vol26/iss1/art23/
- Stackhouse, J.; Quinn-Davidson, L. (2020). Is funding always worth the cost? Grasslands. 30:1, 20-21. January.
- Quinn-Davidson, L.; Stackhouse, J. (2019). Burning by the day: Why cost/acre is not a good metric for prescribed fire. Grasslands. 29:3, 16-19.
- Quinn-Davidson, L.; Stackhouse, J. (2019). Field Report: Building a burn trailer to support your community’s prescribed fire efforts. Grasslands. 29:3, 20-22.
- Davy, J.; Quinn-Davidson, L. (2019). Medusahead control using prescribed fire across disparate precipitation patterns. Grasslands. 29:3, 5-8.
- Davy, J.S.; Forero, L.C. (2019). Mineral status of California beef cattle. Translational Animal Science. 3, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/tas/txy114
- Stackhouse, J.; Quinn-Davidson, L. (2019). Options for prescribed fire on private lands in California. Grasslands. 29:2, 12-15.
- Valachovic, Y.; Quinn-Davison, L. (2019). Perceptions of cannabis among Humboldt County timberland and ranchland owners. California Agriculture. 73:3, 161-168.
- Chen, Z.; Biswas, S. (2019). Prevalence of Escherichia coli O157 and Salmonella spp. in solid bovine manure in California using real-time quantitative PCR. Letters in Applied Microbiology. 69, 23-29.
- Geaumont, B.; Norland, J. (2019). The influences of species richness and forb seed density on grassland restoration in the Badlands of North Dakota. Ecological Restoration. 37:2, 123-131.
- Meyer, D.; Karle, B. (2019). UC-Industry-Agency partnerships key to success in dairy water quality policy. California Agriculture. 73:1, 40-47.
- Macon, D.K.; Baldwin, R.A. (2018). Livestock protection tools for California ranchers. University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication 8598. http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/Details.aspx?itemNo=8598
- Stackhouse, J.; Quinn-Davidson, L. (2018). Mechanical removal of Coyote Brush (Baccharis pilularis). Grasslands. 30:2.
- Grantham, T.; Laird, A. (2018). North Coast Regional Report. California’s Fourth Climate Assessment. http://www.climateassessment.ca.gov/regions/docs/20180827-NorthCoast.pdf
- Oltjen, J; Forero, L (2017). Decision making tools: BeefTracker mobile app for tracking and analysis of beef herd pasture use and location. Translational Animal Science. 1, 250-254.
- Stackhouse, J.; Giusti, G (2017). Game species management and economics of hunting enterprises in California grasslands. Grasslands. 27:3, 11-16. 2017.
- Macon, D; Barry, S (2016). "Coping with drought on California rangelands." Rangelands 38(4): 222-228.
- Davy, J; Forero, L (2016). "Drought strategies for feeding cattle grazing annual grassland." University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication(8563): 1-5.
- Davy, J.S.; Nader, G.A. (2016). "Supplemental feeds for cattle operations during drought." University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources publication(8565): 1-7.
- Davy, J.S.; Forero, L.C. (2015). "Drought strategies for beef cattle culling." University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources publication(8555)
- Stackhouse, J. W.; Schauer, C. S. (2015). "Use of annual forage crops as a late-season forage for pregnant ewes, insect habitat and to improve soil health." Sheep and Goat Research Journal 30: 6-12.
- J. W., Stackhouse; Schauer, C. S. (2013). "Analysis of a sheep cover crop grazing trial in southwestern North Dakota." North Dakota Sheep Report 53: 3-5.
- J. W., Stackhouse; K. K., Sedivec (2013). "Evaluation of three nest searching methods for Ring-necked Pheasant." The Prairie Naturalist 45: 114-117.
- J. W., Stackhouse (2013). Ring-necked Pheasant: Evaluation of winter survival, habitat use, and current research methods of nest searching. North Dakota State University. 1-121.
- J. W., Stackhouse; K. K., Sedivec (2012). "Importance of livestock facilities for wintering Ring-necked Pheasant." North Dakota Beef Report: 51-54.
- J. W., Stackhouse; Geaumont, B. A. (2011). "Northern Harrier hatches Mallard nest." The Prairie Naturalist 43(3/4): 117-118.
- Stackhouse, E; Stackhouse, J (2021). Preliminary note for control of episodic Bearded Owl-clover (Triphysaria versicolor) bloom in organic pastures. California Weed Science Society Research Update. 15:1, 16-20. https://www.cwss.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/CWSS_Research_Update-March-2021-1.pdf
- Quinn-Davidson, L.; Stackhouse, J. (2019). Bringing the heat: Fire as a management tool for California’s private lands. California Cattlemen's Magazine. 50-52. January.
- Quinn-Davidson, L. and J. Stackhouse (2017). Reclaiming fire: Bringing fire back to California’s private lands. California Deer Association Magazine. 34-37.
- Forero, L; Stackhouse, J (2017). Sample costs for beef cattle finished on grass. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Forero, L; Ingram, R (2017). Sample costs for beef cattle yearling/stocker productions. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Stackhouse, J (2016). Generations of Stewardship: California ranching family honored with Excellence in Range Management award. Califonria Cattleman. 24-25. May. https://issuu.com/calcattleman/docs/may_2016_california_cattleman_onlin
- Stackhouse, J; Davy, J (2015). Embracing Innovation: Phone APP featured at cattle health meetings. California Cattlemen's Magazine. May, 22.
- Tjarnstrom, F.; Stackhouse, J (2015). Selected common grasses of Humboldt County: A guide for identification of grasses with their associated forage values.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Wildlife - Chair
- Beef Safety and Quality Assurance - Member
- Dairy Quality Assurance - Member
- Fire - Member
- Livestock Production Systems - Member
- Oak Woodland Conservation - Member
- UAS (Drones) Workgroup - Member
- Weed - Member