Jeffery W. Stackhouse
Livestock and Natural Resource AdvisorHumboldt County Office
5630 South Broadway
Eureka, CA 95503-6998
Del Norte County Office
Research Interests: beef cattle, dairy cattle, sheep, goats, soil health, vegetation management, forage production, wildlife resources, water quality, and ecosystem processes
M.S. Natural Resources Management, North Dakota State University. 2012
B.S. Wildlife Resources, University of Idaho. 2010
B.S. Rangeland Ecology and Management, University of Idaho. 2010
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Animals and Their Systems
- Animal Management Systems
- Communication, Education, and Information Delivery
- Soil, Plant, Water, Nutrient Relationships
- Management of Range Resources
- Oltjen, J; Forero, L (2017). Decision making tools: BeefTracker mobile app for tracking and analysis of beef herd pasture use and location. Translational Animal Science. 1, 250-254.
- Stackhouse, J.; Giusti, G (2017). Game species management and economics of hunting enterprises in California grasslands. Grasslands. 27:3, 11-16. 2017.
- Macon, D; Barry, S (2016). "Coping with drought on California rangelands." Rangelands 38(4): 222-228.
- Davy, J; Forero, L (2016). "Drought strategies for feeding cattle grazing annual grassland." University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources Publication(8563): 1-5.
- Davy, J.S.; Nader, G.A. (2016). "Supplemental feeds for cattle operations during drought." University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources publication(8565): 1-7.
- Davy, J.S.; Forero, L.C. (2015). "Drought strategies for beef cattle culling." University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources publication(8555)
- Stackhouse, J. W.; Schauer, C. S. (2015). "Use of annual forage crops as a late-season forage for pregnant ewes, insect habitat and to improve soil health." Sheep and Goat Research Journal 30: 6-12.
- J. W., Stackhouse; Schauer, C. S. (2013). "Analysis of a sheep cover crop grazing trial in southwestern North Dakota." North Dakota Sheep Report 53: 3-5.
- J. W., Stackhouse; K. K., Sedivec (2013). "Evaluation of three nest searching methods for Ring-necked Pheasant." The Prairie Naturalist 45: 114-117.
- J. W., Stackhouse (2013). Ring-necked Pheasant: Evaluation of winter survival, habitat use, and current research methods of nest searching. North Dakota State University. 1-121.
- J. W., Stackhouse; K. K., Sedivec (2012). "Importance of livestock facilities for wintering Ring-necked Pheasant." North Dakota Beef Report: 51-54.
- J. W., Stackhouse; Geaumont, B. A. (2011). "Northern Harrier hatches Mallard nest." The Prairie Naturalist 43(3/4): 117-118.
- Quinn-Davidson, L; Stackhouse, J (2017). Reclaiming fire: Bringing fire back to California’s private lands. California Deer Magazine. Fall, 34-37.
- Forero, L; Stackhouse, J (2017). Sample costs for beef cattle finished on grass. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Forero, L; Ingram, R (2017). Sample costs for beef cattle yearling/stocker productions. University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources.
- Stackhouse, J (2016). Generations of Stewardship: California ranching family honored with Excellence in Range Management award. Califonria Cattleman. 24-25. May. https://issuu.com/calcattleman/docs/may_2016_california_cattleman_onlin
- Stackhoues, J; Davy, J (2015). Embracing Innovation: Phone APP featured at cattle health meetings. California Cattlemen's Magazine. May, 22.
- Tjarnstrom, F.; Stackhouse, J (2015). Selected common grasses of Humboldt County: A guide for identification of grasses with their associated forage values.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Wildlife - Chair
- Beef Safety and Quality Assurance - Member
- Dairy Quality Assurance - Member
- Ecological Restoration - Member
- Livestock Production Systems - Member
- Weed - Member